People in Somalia Die of Hunger – level 3
Over one hundred people died in Somalia within 48 hours because of a big drought. The government called the situation a national disaster.
The United Nations estimates that 5 million people need help and it warns of famine.
Thousands of people arrived in Somalia’s capital. There were too many. The prime minister of Somalia said that the big drought is now in many areas of the country.
The drought affects half of the population. The previous droughts and a decade of conflict have left the country fragile.
Difficult words: drought (a very dry period of time), estimate (calculate), famine (a lot of hunger), fragile (unstable).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.