People in South Korea become younger – level 2
South Korea changed its system of counting people’s age. The new system will match the international standard.
Previously, people became one year older at birth got another year each January 1st. That means that if you were born on the 31st of December, you were two years old the next day. Troubles with this system started mainly during the COVID-19 pandemic when some people couldn’t get vaccines and vaccine passports.
Now, most official matters will use the new method. Some people want to use the old system informally, but 86% of South Koreans plan to use the new system in their daily lives. There will be some exceptions, for example, for buying alcohol, starting school, and doing military service.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What are the main advantages of South Korea's new age counting system?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.