People kill dolphins – level 1
Grindadráp is a dolphin hunt in the Faroe Islands. It starts 400 years ago. It happens every year.
This year’s hunt is very big. Hunters kill the dolphins in shallow water. They kill more than one thousand animals. Hunters are very cruel. The water becomes red.
Some people who watch the hunt are shocked. Hunters say that they eat the meat. Areport says that only 17% of people in Faroe Islands eat dolphin meat.
Some people say that the hunt must stop. It is an old tradition. Many animals die. The hunters worry about what will happen in the future.
Difficult words: shallow (a place where there is little water), cruel (when someone hurts somebody else a lot without worrying about it), tradition (something that people do for a long time, and it is a part of their lives).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos