People kill dolphins – level 2
People in the Faroe Islands killed over a thousand dolphins in a hunt called Grindadráp.
Hunters herded the animals the shallow water where they killed them. Spectators watched how the water turned red, and some people were shocked how cruel the hunt was. Animal rights groups said that this 400-year-old cruel tradition had to end, as only 17% of people who live in the Faroe Islands eat dolphin meat regularly.
Hunters said that it was a part of who they were, and it was not bad for the natural world. Then some supporters said that this year´s hunt was very cruel, and they did not like it.
Difficult words: spectator (a person who watches a game, show, or other event), animal rights group (a group of people who protect animals and they want them to have better lives), tradition (something that people do for a very long time as a part of their culture).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.