People leave the Republican Party – level 3
Republican Party members are burning their membership cards to show how unhappy they are that Donald Trump is the presumptive nominee for their party. After winning Indiana, he became the last person standing as both Cruz and Kasich made the decision to suspend their campaigns, and many longstanding members are unhappy about it. A number of them have decided to leave the party in protest.
Bryan Akner took to Twitter to share a ten-second video of him burning his membership card. In other tweets, he said he’s been a member of the party since 1993. Lachlan Markay also shared a picture of him burning his membership, as did Twitter user Heather.
Others have then followed the official procedure and made themselves unaffiliated with the Republican party and shared screenshots of the moment online. They’re using a number of hashtags on social media right now, including #byeGOP, #leavingGOP, and #burnyourcard.
The Republican candidate may be as good as chosen, but that doesn’t seem to have calmed this election.
Difficult words: presumptive (not definitive), suspend (to stop for some time), unaffiliated (not connected).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.