People live in a 3D-printed house – level 3
A Dutch couple have become Europe’s first tenants of a fully 3D-printed house, the first completed home of five for ’Project Milestone’ in the city of Eidhoven, Netherlands.
The single-story house was inspired by the shape of a boulder, and its dimensions and shapes would be difficult and expensive to construct using traditional methods. It’s the first legally habitable and commercially-rented property where the load-bearing walls have been made using a 3D printer nozzle.
The printer makes layers of concrete into walls following a design. The method is seen as a way to cut costs and environmental damage by reducing cement use.
Difficult words: boulder (a large smooth rock), load-bearing (a wall that supports much of the weight of a building’s structure), nozzle (a narrow piece attached to the end of a tube to direct a flow of something).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos