People look for diamonds – level 3
More than a thousand of treasure seekers raced to KwaHlathi village in South Africa, seeking their fortune in the soil.
The influx came after a man dug up crystal-like stones in an open field, and he spread the word of the discovery. The provincial government shared a video on social media, expressing concerns of what is called a ’diamond rush’. They said that illegal mining activity was taking place at KwaHlathi outside Ladysmith.
The stones haven’t been analyzed by geological experts yet, and authorities have asked people onsite to leave so that a proper investigation could be carried out. However, the lack of clarity around identification of the stones isn’t deterring some people from selling them.
Difficult words: influx (an arrival of large numbers of people or things), mining (the activity of getting things such as coal or metal from the ground by digging), deter (to prevent someone from doing something).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.