People lose jobs in webinar – level 3
Vishal Garg, the CEO of mortgage company Better.com, announced on a Zoom webinar that the company was laying off about 9% of all its employees.
He abruptly informed more than 900 employees on the webinar that they were being terminated just before Christmas.
On the short and emotionless call, Garg said the reasons were market efficiency, performance, and productivity, and he then said that employees would expect an email explaining benefits and severance. However, employees´ access to the computers was terminated, their screens went black, and they lost access to email and messages.
Garg was in problems before, after sending an email to staff saying they were too slow and were dumb dolphins.
Difficult words: lay off (to end a worker’s job, usually for reasons that have nothing to do with the worker´s performance), terminate (to bring to an end), benefits and severance (the things a company gives its workers when they leave their jobs).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.