People save a glacier – level 3
Researchers performed an experiment on the Helags Glacier in northern Sweden.
They used a cloth sheet to shield a part of the glacier over the summer, and they said that the cloth saved at least 3.5 meters in height from melting. The sheet was about one and a half meters thick, and it was very strong and durable. It hindered the sun and UV radiation, and it also isolated the ice from warm air.
Global warming is causing glaciers to shrink all over the world, and researchers hope to redo their test on a larger size, so they can raise awareness about the dangers many peoples will face if the glaciers disappear.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.