People save a whale in Argentina – level 3
Dozens of people rushed to rescue a humpback whale that became beached off the Argentine coast. The whale was in a state of peril for more than 24 hours with authorities saying it was exhausted.
The plan was to wait for the tide to rise so it could move to deeper waters. The Argentine navy and other groups were on hand with rope to try and help move the whale. The mammal measured 15 metres in length and weighed over 10 tonnes. Dozens of rescuers used a hose to help drag the whale into open waters.
Whale sightings are rare in Buenos Aires. The marine mammal is usually spotted around the country’s southern peninsula during whale season.
Despite a tide that was not quite as high as originally hoped, the mission was successful, and the whale could be seen swimming out to deeper waters, even seeming to give a wave on its way.
Difficult words: beach (when something gets stuck on a beach), a state of peril (in a dangerous state), exhausted (very tired), hose (long plastic tube), whale season (a time when whales migrate – swim to different areas of the world).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.