People Save a Whale – level 1
In Brazil, a beached whale is laying on a beach. People want to help it. Hundreds of people come. They dig holes to bring water to the whale. They throw buckets of water on it.
Much later on, the high tide comes in. The water goes around the whale. The people help the whale get into deep water.
The whale is young but big. It is 13.8 metres long. It weighs between 10 to 15 tonnes.
Difficult words: beached (when a water animal is out of the water on the beach and cannot get back in), high tide (when the ocean waves go up the beach).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos