People throw away food – level 2
According to the United Nations, people threw away about 930 million tons of food in 2019. Households were responsible for more than a half of it, while stores and companies which worked in food service were responsible for the rest.
The UN found out that problems were in the whole process of food production and that 14% of food did not even get to stores. All the food, which people threw away, made 10% of the world’s emissions. It was interesting that it did not happen only in rich countries, but in developing countries, too.
The numbers from 2019 are huge, but the recent reports suggest that people threw away two times more food in 2020.
Difficult words: household (a house with people who live in it), emission (dangerous gases and other things that people, cars, machines, or animals make), developing country (a poor country which does not have a lot of business).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.