People trash many clothes – level 2
Every day, people throw away millions of pieces of clothing. Once they throw them away, they don’t usually think what happens to them. Many clothes from North America, Europe, or Australia go to countries like Ghana or India.
In Ghana, people recycle them; they call them dead White people’s clothes. The amount of clothes is so big that they can’t recycle them all. Around 40% become waste, and they end up in rivers and in the sea. In India, some old clothing become car insulation, mattresses, or cleaning cloths. Even these products become waste one day.
Clothing companies want to make a lot of money, and so they make too many clothes which don’t last very long. The work is called fast fashion. People throw clothes away quickly because they want to buy new ones.
Difficult words: recycle (to change unwanted materials into new things), waste (things and materials which people throw away when they don’t want them anymore), insulation (a material or process which holds or stops heat, sound, or electricity).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.