People walk through a village again – level 3
A Spanish ghost village emerged after years of drought emptied a dam on the Spanish-Portuguese border.
People flooded the Aceredo village in 1992 to create the Alto Lindoso reservoir. Currently, the dam’s at 15% of its capacity, and tourists can walk through the village once more. Drone footage showed collapsed roofs, bricks, and wooden debris that once made up doors or beams, and even a drinking fountain with water still streaming from a rusty pipe.
On February 1, Portugal’s government ordered six dams, including Alto Lindoso, to stop water use for electricity and irrigation. The worsening drought caused Spain’s reservoirs to be at 44% of their capacity, which was well below normal from the last ten years.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.