Peru crisis – level 3
Peru imposed curfew orders to contain violent demonstrations. The country has long-running political instability; the problems are reaching a boiling point. Since 2016, no elected leader has completed the five-year presidential term.
Dina Boluarte is the running mate of the impeached left-wing president Pedro Castillo. The government swore her in as president on December 7, 2022, and she failed to end the anger, although she wanted to hold early elections. Since 2016, Boluarte is the sixth president.
In the southern city of Ayacucho, Castillo’s supporters and police clashed, seven people died, and 50 more were injured. After a week of protests, the latest fatalities doubled the overall death toll to at least 14.
Difficult words: curfew (a law that requires people to remain indoors between specified hours), impeached (formally accuse a public official of a serious offense related to his or her job), fatality (a death from an accident or violence).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos