Philippines oil spill – level 3
Volunteers and coastguard personnel tried to clean up a devastating oil spill from the sunken tanker MT Princess Empress that has washed up on the shores of the Philippines’ Mindoro Island and stained most of its beaches.
People collect the oil, wipe the rocks and gather the debris along the shore. After they clean an area, more oil comes back with the tide.
On Monday, authorities said that they have found the tanker and they planned to deploy a remotely-operated autonomous vehicle to pinpoint its exact location. The tanker is thought to be lying at about 366 meters below sea level, off Oriental Mindoro province. It was carrying about 800,000 liters of industrial fuel when it suffered engine trouble on 28 February in rough seas.
Marine scientists said that about 36,000 hectares of coral reefs, mangroves, and sea grass were potentially in danger.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What type of marine life is being affected by the spill, and how?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.