Philippines plastic crisis – level 2
Southeast Asia is going through a plastic crisis. Many people live on very low wages, and they can’t afford big packages of everyday products. Instead, they buy small bags, which seem cheap, but they cost much more than big bags or bottles.
In the Philippines, people buy small portions of almost everything from detergents to coffee. A study says that people there throw away 163 million small bags every day. These bags have plastic and aluminum parts, so people cannot recycle them. They go into rivers and the sea.
Some people try to change the situation, but their work is difficult to change the laws. Big companies promised that they would solve the problem with small plastic bags, but the situation is changing very slowly.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.