Philippines Volcano – level 2
The Taal Volcano in the Philippines is getting very active. Authorities want to evacuate almost half a million people because they think that the volcano can erupt soon. On Sunday, it started to shoot smoke and ash into the air.
Officials canceled over 240 flights and closed schools and government offices. They advised people to wear masks because it is dangerous to breathe in volcanic ash. The ash can cause problems with breathing.
Volcanic eruptions are very common in the Philippines because the country lies in an area that has a lot of seismic activity. There are a lot of earthquakes, too.
Difficult words: erupt (to explode), volcanic ash (small pieces of rock that look like a cloud and they come out of a volcano before it explodes), seismic (connected to earthquakes and earth that moves).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.