Picasso Portrait on Auction – level 3
One of Picasso’s famous portraits went up on auction in London, and people expect it to sell for around 50 million dollars.
James Mackie, the senior director at the auction house, explained that the painting is a multi-faceted one. On first appearance, it is a beautifully executed portrait of Marie-Thérèse Walter, but there is also a reference to the ‘Weeping Woman’, one of the key motifs of ‘Guernica’, arguably Picasso’s greatest masterpiece and one of the greatest paintings of the 20th century.
In the silhouette, there is also a reference to Dora Maar who was Picasso’s muse and lover and who eventually supplanted Marie-Thérèse. By 1938, she was the artist’s primary muse.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.