Pie in the face – level 2
A German politician was sitting in the front row during a speech at her party’s conference. She is the member of Germany’s far left party.
A young man stopped in front of her and threw a chocolate pie in her face. Security guards quickly pulled him away and asked reporters not to film the politician.
The politician says that there should be a limit of refugees who come to Germany. This is an opinion, which her party does not agree on.
She is the second politician someone attacked with a dessert over a position. A person hit a member of an anti-immigrant party with a pie last month.
Difficult words: front row (the first line of seats), party (a political group), refugee (a person who left his or her country).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos