Piece of a plane is found – level 3
Could this unknown piece of material lead to answers? French investigators are looking into what appears to be debris from a plane that has washed up on Reunion Island.
Aviation experts have said the debris looks like a wing component from a 777 plane known as a flaperon.
It’s too early to suggest it may be from the missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370. That flight is believed to have crashed into the Indian Ocean and has been missing since March last year. There have been other plane crashes much closer to Reunion, but flight MH370 is the only Boeing 777 to have disappeared in the area.
The Malaysian Airlines plane was traveling from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing with 239 people on board. The journey should have taken six hours and lost connection with air traffic controllers mid-flight.
The two-metre-long piece of wreckage washed up on the island about 370 miles (595 kilometres) east of Madagascar. Malaysian officials have sent a team to the islandsto work alongside French air transport officials to examine whether the wreckage discovered is from the missing Malaysian Airlines flights. As time goes on, this piece of wreckage could help explain what happened in one of the biggest mysteries in aviation history.
Difficult words: debris (the broken parts of something), aviation (relating to aeroplanes).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.