Pierre Cardin Dies – level 2
Pierre Cardin was born in Italy in 1922. Four years later, his family escaped to France. Pierre was born Pietro, but his family changed his name when they moved to France.
Cardin’s job was to make masks and costumes for theatres and films. In 1946, he became a tailor and he worked for Christian Dior, who was not famous at that time. In 1950, Cardin started his own fashion brand, and many people knew him for his unusual business practices. He started to sell clothes in department stores and his brand became even more popular when he started to sell other things like perfumes, watches, and cars. Many people did not like his business style, but it made Cardin famous in all the world.
Cardin died last week at the age of 98.
Difficult words: tailor (a person who makes clothes or makes them fit individual customers), brand (products that one company makes and the name that they all have), business practices (the rules and activities that a company has to make a lot money).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.