Pierre Cardin Dies – level 3
The legendary French couturier Pierre Cardin died on Tuesday last week at the age of 98.
Cardin made his career by selling designer clothes to the masses, and he made his fortune by being the first to use his name as a brand for selling everything from cars to perfume.
Cardin was born in 1922 in a small town in northeast Italy to French parents of Italian descent; however, his family relocated to France to escape fascism.
Cardin started his career making theatrical masks and costumes for the film ´Beauty and the Beast´. In 1946, he was hired as a tailor by Christian Dior who had just opened his couture house in Paris. Four years later, at the age of 28, Cardin founded his own fashion brand. He was the first designer to sell collections in department stores in the late 1960s, and he was among the first foreign designers to open shop in Japan, China, and Russia.
Difficult words: couturier (a person or business that designs and makes fashionable clothes for women), fascism (a political regime that dominated Central, Southern and Eastern Europe between 1919 and 1945), couture house (the business of designing and making expensive fashionable clothes).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.