Pig hearts for people – level 1
David Bennett comes from the United States. He is 57 years old. His heart is very sick. His only chance is a transplant of a pig’s heart.
The surgery goes well. Doctors are happy that the man survives. But everything changes quickly. The new heart is not working well. The man dies. Doctors find out that there is a pig virus in the heart. Doctors do tests before the surgery. The tests don’t find the virus. Now, more sensitive tests exist.
Doctors must also learn more about immune suppressing drugs. These drugs help the body accept the new organ. Experts test this on monkeys. Monkeys get pig heart transplants.
Now, there is no plan for another such surgery.
Difficult words: transplant (an organ which doctors take from one body and put it into another body), survive (to still live after an event or accident), immune suppressing drugs (drugs which cause a body doesn’t react strongly to a transplant).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What is the virus that killed David Bennett's new heart?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos