Pig Virus in China – level 2
China is the largest producer of pork, but it is having a big problem at the moment. There is an epidemic which is killing its pigs.
Last August, people first discovered the virus in China, but 1 million pigs are dead now. The virus is deadly and when a pig catches it, it is going to die. China thinks that one third of its pigs are going to die by the end of this year.
The virus also spread to Mongolia, Vietnam and Cambodia where around 95,000 pigs died.
Difficult words: pork (pig meat), epidemic (when many people or animals get ill), spread (move, get).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos