Pigs are saved – level 3
Live-streamed to more than 10 million people, this footage shows dozens of pigs being saved from a flooded farm in China. A rescue operation was launched after photographs of emotional farmers saying a tearful goodbye to their animals went viral, prompting an outpouring of sympathy.
According to local media reports, the men pictured here had raised many of the pigs themselves and thought they were leaving them to die in their flooded pens. The pigs were trapped in Shucheng County, Anhui Province in east China, where days of torrential rain has caused rivers to overflow and villages and towns to be flooded.
The rescue is a rare piece of good news here, where the floods have caused dozens of deaths and affected millions of people.
It’s not known how many pigs were at this farm when the floods struck, but it reportedly has a capacity of thousands.
Difficult words: dozens (many), viral (very popular on the Internet), prompt (cause), outpouring (a lot of), pen (an animal’s area), trapped (not able to get out), torrential rain (heavy rain), reportedly (according to what people say).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.