Pigs with Masks – level 3
A Czech Christmas ornament-maker adds tiny masks to the country’s traditional golden pigs. According to Czech customs, golden pigs bring luck and joy to people who fast before the family feast on Christmas Eve.
Romana Juklova is the owner of a company that makes Christmas ornaments and, according to her, the idea is to reflect how people are adapting for the holidays this year. They have always made piglet decorations in white, gold and pink and they used to add bows and flowers. However, this year, the golden pigs are getting a modern twist, and the makers have added a face mask. They hope that next year they will decorate the pigs a bit more cheerfully.
Golden pigs with masks have become a massive hit, and now, the makers are making nothing but piglets in face masks.
Difficult words: fast (to eat and drink nothing), bow (a decorative ribbon that is tied with two loops and two loose ends), twist (a different method of doing something).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos