Pink diamond – level 1
Last week, a pink diamond sells at auction in Hong Kong. The diamond weighs 11.5 carats. Experts say that it costs 21 million dollars. Then the diamond sells for 49.9 million dollars.
The name of the diamond is Williamson Pink Star. The name comes from the names of two very famous pink diamonds.
One diamond is called Williamson. Queen Elizabeth II gets it as a gift. It is for her wedding in 1947.
The second diamond is Pink Star diamond. It weighs 59.6 carats. It sells for 71.2 million dollars in 2017. This price is the highest ever.
Pink diamonds are very rare. They are very expensive. Most pink diamonds weigh less than 10 carats.
Difficult words: auction (a place where people can buy things, and the person who offers the most money, will get the thing), carat (a unit for weight of diamonds, gold, and so on), rare (very unusual).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.