Pizza for Thanksgiving – level 2
According to surveys, one in five Americans won’t have enough money to pay for Thanksgiving dinner because it is too expensive for them.
Food prices are rising due to a few reasons. A hot and dry summer in California made farmers grow less vegetables. They also killed thousands of turkeys because of bird flu. Lastly, few enough workers helped with and to transport food.
These reasons are why food prices are rising. Vegetables went up 19% since last year. A pound of turkey went up to $1.99 from $1.15 since last year.
Many people want to save money on this year’s Thanksgiving. Some people are planning to have a smaller dinner or to ask their guests to bring their own drinks. People in Gen Z are planning to have soup, salad, and pizza.
Difficult words: survey (a study to find what people think), transport (to take things from one place to another), Gen Z (people born from 1997 to 2012).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos