Plane Crash in Ethiopia – level 3
Last Sunday, Ethiopian Airlines flight ET302 went down shortly after take-off when it left from Addis Ababa (the capital of Ethiopia) to Nairobi (the capital of Kenya).
The airline said that the pilot reported difficulties and asked to return to Addis Ababa before the crash.
A total of 157 people were on board – 8 crew and 149 passengers of more than 30 nationalities. No one survived the crash. It is not yet clear what caused the Ethiopian Airlines plane to go down in clear weather but an investigation has begun. The following day after the crash, the airline announced that flight records were found.
The tragedy is similar to Lion Air flight that crashed in the Java Sea last year. Both airliners were Boeing 737 Max-8 planes, and both crashed shortly after take-off.
At least 40 countries, including all EU member states, China, India and Ethiopia have suspended flights of the -Boeing 737 Max-8 due to safety concerns.
Difficult words: announce (say in the media), suspend (stop for some time), due to (because of).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos