Plane crashes in Egypt – level 3
A Russian airliner has crashed in Egypt, central Sinai, with 224 people on board. The passenger jet was flying from the Red Sea resort of Sharm el-Sheikh, bound for the Russian city of St Petersburg.
The airbus lost contact with air traffic control about 25 minutes after take-off. The plane then disappeared from radar screens as it travelled at 31,000 feet (9.4 kilometres).The Egyptian Prime Minister’s office confirmed that it crashed early this morning, stating it was “too soon to determine the cause”.
“There is an operations team from the Civil Aviation’s Ministry going now to the site of the location of the accident to start an investigation into it and all the details. There has been coordination with the Russian side and there has been communication. An operations team will be going there to begin the investigation, and of course there is communication with the Russian Ambassador with regards to this.”
Wreckage of the plane was found in the Hassana area. Egyptian officials say all the passengers were Russian, 17 of them children.
Vladimir Putin has expressed his condolences to the victims’ families. The Russian President has ordered an official investigation into the crash.
Difficult words: bound (going to), determine (to find out), aviation (relating to flying and aircraft), site (place).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.