Planes with drugs – level 2
According to the United States, Peru is the world’s top cocaine producer. People send most of the country’s cocaine sent abroad in small planes.
People estimated that small planes moved 180 tonnes of cocaine from Peru in 2014, and that there are 600 of these flights a year. The government of Peru wants to stop this, so it passed a new law. The law lets the military shoot a plane down if someone thinks that the plane is carrying drugs.
However, drugs do not leave the country only in small planes. People also move the drugs on boats and on commercial flights.
Difficult words: estimate (to guess the number of something), pass (to make legal).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this law?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.