Platinum Jubilee – level 1
Queen Elizabeth II is the queen of Britain. She is in this job for 70 years. Last weekend, people have a big ceremony in central London.
A parade moves through the city. It is almost 5 kilometers long. 6,000 people are in the parade. Some singers are there, too. One is Ed Sheeran.
A gold carriage is at the beginning of the parade. It is 260 years old. In 1953, Queen Elizabeth sits in the carriage.
This time, the Queen isn’t in the carriage. People can see only her image. It looks as if she is sitting inside.
The Queen doesn’t attend all of the ceremony. She can’t move well.
Difficult words: ceremony (a special event to remember something), parade (an event when people or vehicles through a public place to remember something), carriage (a vehicle that moves when horses pull it).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos