Platinum Jubilee – level 2
Last weekend, the British celebrated 70 years of the rule of Queen Elizabeth II, and they held a ceremony in central London.
A 260-year-old gold carriage led the parade, which was almost five kilometers long. The Queen can’t walk well recently, so she didn’t take part at some events during the celebrations. She wasn’t inside the carriage, but people could see a hologram of her during her coronation in 1953. She waved to people, and it seemed as if she was really inside.
Around 6,000 people performed at the parade, including British pop singer Ed Sheeran.
Difficult words: parade (a movement of people or vehicles through a public place to celebrate an important day or event), coronation (a celebration for the beginning of a king or queen), hologram (a special 3D image).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.