Platinum Jubilee – level 3
A 260-year-old Gold State Coach led a pageant through central London on Sunday. The coach was in footage of Queen Elizabeth II during her coronation in 1953.
The ceremony last weekend was a part of Platinum Jubilee celebrations to mark the queen’s 70-year-rule in the UK. The golden carriage led the 5-kilometer parade that included around 6,000 performers, including pop singer Ed Sheeran. The procession followed a similar route to the one of the 96-year-old Queen on her coronation day, and it aimed to remind the different decades of her reign.
The Queen missed several jubilee events because of mobility issues, and she wasn’t in the carriage either. She opted to have a film from 1953 sit in her place. The Queen appeared as a hologram waving to the crowds, making it seem as if she was inside.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.