Poison in beans – level 1
This news is from Western Afghanistan. A man comes to a school. He is selling beans. He sells the beans to young boys. The boys are 10 to 14 years old.
The beans are not good. They are poisoned. They make the boys sick. One hundred boys go to hospital.
Police catch the man. They take him to the police station.
Difficult words: sell (to give something to people and to take their money for it), poisoned (with poison inside; poison is very bad – it makes you feel very bad), sick (to feel very bad).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Terrible, isn't it?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.