Poland’s Law – level 3
On Thursday, Poland’s top court ruled that abortion due to fetal defects was unconstitutional.
Poland is a predominantly Catholic country, and the decision ends one of the last legal grounds to terminate a pregnancy. The procedure will now be allowed in case of rape, incest, or a threat to the mother’s life. The decision was met with support from pro-life activists who said that Poland was an example for Europe and for the world. However, women’s rights activists were shocked by the decision, and they protested in the streets of the capital city of Warsaw.
Many doctors in Poland already exercise their legal right to refuse to terminate pregnancies on religious grounds. The court’s decision further distances Poland from most of Europe as one of only two EU countries to severely restrict access to abortion.
Difficult words: abortion (a procedure to end a pregnancy), fetal defect (a problem that happens while a baby is developing in the mother’s body), terminate (to end, to kill), incest (sexual relations between family members or relatives).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos