Polar Bear in a Village – level 3
Polar bears aren’t usually found in villages but a female one, who was just seven months old, strayed into a village on the northern border of Russia and the country’s defence ministry had to come and help. Prior to their arrival, locals trapped the bear, which is the world’s
largest carnivore, underneath a house.
A military aircraft travelled to the island in the Russian Arctic to rescue the polar bear before people took her to the Moscow Zoo. The cub had a long journey to get there – first she travelled by a helicopter to a town in Russia’s Far East before going on a plane to the capital.
Polar bears are called white bears in Russia and they are native to the Arctic. People consider them a vulnerable species with changes to their habitat by climate change considered their biggest threat.
Difficult words: stray (move without knowing where you are going), prior (before), carnivore (an animal that feeds on other animals), cub (a young bear), vulnerable species (an animal kind which is in danger of dying out), habitat (an animal’s natural home), threat (a danger).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.