Polar bear in London – level 2
People saw a giant polar bear in the streets of London. It scared people but it was no danger to them. The bear was actually a TV show prop, and it was used to promote a new TV series.
It took a team of 19 people eight weeks to make the animal. The people used 60 types of material but mainly they used sheep fur. Two people move the 8 foot-long (2.4 metres) bear from the inside. They had to study real polar bears to know how they move.
Difficult words: prop (something used in a film or a TV show), promote (to make popular), fur (the hair from an animal).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think of this type of advertising?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.