Polar bear in London – level 3
A giant polar bear has been spotted roaming the streets of London, giving commuters and joggers a fright.
But there was no need to worry, as the 8 foot-long adult male bear was actually an animated prop created by a team of Hollywood special effects experts to mark the launch of Sky Atlantic’s anticipated Arctic crime drama “Fortitude.”
A team of 19 prop specialists spent eight weeks designing and building the realistic Arctic animal. There were six to eight people working on the costume at any one time, using over 60 types of material, which included 90 square foot of sheep fur.
If that wasn’t cool enough, the prop uses internal monitors like hidden cameras to allow puppeteers inside to control the bear’s movements.
The two people inside the animal studied footage of real polar bears before spending five days rehearsing in order to get their movements right. The new Sky Atlantic series “Fortitude” is set in a fictional town with thousands of polar bears and starts on Thursday at 9 p.m.
Difficult words: spot (to see), roam (to walk), commuter (a person who travels to work every day), fright (a feeling of fear), prop (something used on the set of a film or TV show), launch (to start), Sky Atlantic (a British TV channel), anticipate (to be excited), fortitude (the courage you show when you have problems), at any one time (at any moment), fur (the hair from an animal), monitor (a tool which observes things), puppeteer (somebody who performs with puppets), footage (video), rehearse (to practise).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos