Police arrest protestors in US – level 1
Police arrest a man. He is African-American. This happens in Baltimore in the USA. He goes to hospital later that week. He is hurt. Then he dies. His family has a funeral. People protest and riot. Police arrest some of these people.
The protestors are mad. They want to know how the man was hurt. They do not think that the police want to help them. They think that the police want to help other people.
The police must go to court. People want to know what happened. The police will tell the court. It will not tell everyone else.
Difficult words: protest (to say that something is wrong and make people listen to you), riot (to hurt things and people), court (a place where you must go if you did something wrong; there, they tell you if you must go to jail).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about the protests?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.