Police arrest protestors in US – level 2
Police arrested an African-American man in Baltimore, Maryland April 2015 and later that week, people had to take him to hospital for spinal injuries. He died soon after and the day that his funeral happened, many people rioted and protested in Baltimore, as well as other US cities. Police arrested some protestors.
The protestors want to know how the man’s spinal injuries happened. They think that the police want to protect buildings and things more than they want to protect people.
The police are going to court to explain what happened, but they are not going to tell the public.
Difficult words: spinal (relating to the bones that run in a long line in your back), riot (when many people break things and hurt other people), public (people).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about the protests?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.