Police find stuffed animals – level 2
Spanish police found a large building near the city of Valencia, which was full of taxidermy animals.
1,000 animals are there, for example, rhinos, polar bears and lions. More than 400 animals were protected or extinct. Among the protected animals were Bengal tigers and a white antelope called addax. One of the extinct animals was the scimitar oryx, which became extinct in the year 2000. There were also nearly 200 elephant tusks.
Police didn’t arrest the owner of the warehouse, but they said that they had to find out if the man kept the animals legally. They investigated the man for smuggling both animals and plants.
Difficult words: extinct (an animal or plant which no longer exists), smuggle (to move something illegally in or out of a country).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos