Police Officer in Prison – level 2
Two weeks ago, a police officer named Derek Chauvin and three other officers arrested a black man named George Floyd. Floyd died, and authorities charged Derek Chauvin with murder.
The judge offered a bail of $1 million dollars; however, there were some rules. Chauvin must stay in Minnesota, USA, and he must not contact Floyd’s family. Chauvin must hand over all guns, and he must never work for the police again. If Chauvin does not agree with these rules, the bail will be $1.25 million dollars.
Chauvin faces up to 40 years in prison. Now, he is in prison in Minnesota, and he must return to court on June 29. Authorities charged the other officers as accomplices.
Difficult words: bail (when someone must pay some money and he then can leave the prison), hand over (to give something to someone else), accomplice (the person who helps someone else do a crime).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos