Police Officer in Prison – level 3
Derek Chauvin has been charged with second-degree murder in connection to George Floyd’s death.
On Monday, Chauvin appeared in court by video, and the judge offered a bail of $1 million under certain conditions. Chauvin must stay in Minnesota and surrender all firearms and permits. He must not contact Floyd’s family, and he is not allowed to work for the police ever again. If Chauvin does not accept these conditions, the bail will be $1.25 million.
If Chauvin is convicted, he faces up to 40 years in prison. He is being held at Minnesota’s maximum-security prison, and he is set to return to court on June 29. His colleagues who participated in arresting Floyd have been charged as accomplices.
Difficult words: second-degree murder (an intentional murder that is not planned), bail (money given to a court by a person accused of a crime so that the person can be released until the trial), convict (to send to jail for something you did wrong), accomplice (the person who participates in a crime).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.