Police officer laughs after a woman dies – level 2
Body camera footage from Seattle Police shows officer Daniel Auderer laughing about a young woman’s death. Auderer is also the vice president of the Seattle Police Officers Guild.
The accident involved a 23-year-old student Jaahnavi Kandula. A patrol car struck and killed her while crossing a street near her university campus. The officer was driving at 119 km/h in a 40 km/h zone. Authorities said that it was an unlucky accident and quickly returned the officer to duty.
The shocking video shows Auderer commenting about the woman’s age. He also said that her life had limited value, which made many people very angry. Authorities are now investigating the incident. The footage led to people asking questions about how good and responsible police in Seattle really were.
Difficult words: vice president (an officer below a president), on duty (when someone is doing his or her regular work), limited value (when something has limited value it is not as important as other things).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What actions, if any, do you think should be taken against officer Daniel Auderer for his comments on Jaahnavi Kandula's death?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.