Police saved a little girl – level 2
A Chinese man kidnapped his employer’s daughter. He put a 30-centimetre knife against her neck. He demanded money from his employer.
Around 50 officers arrived at the scene. They offered the man some cash, but he wanted his boss’s money only. The man carried around the little girl in his arms for more than an hour.
The child’s shoes dropped off and the police took advantage of this. They told the man to help her with her shoes. He put down his knife and the police arrested him.
Difficult words: kidnap (to take somebody somewhere by force), employer (your boss), take advantage of something (to make good use of a bad situation).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Do you have a policeman in your family?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos