Police saved a little girl – level 3
The moment a child’s life was saved, as police rescued a little girl who was held at knifepoint.
Shocking surveillance footage shows scores of policemen run towards the kidnapper who put a 30-centimetre knife against the girl’s neck in a quiet residential area in China’s Jiangsu Province.
The man had kidnapped his employer’s daughter and demanded money. More than 50 officers arrived at the scene and cordoned off the area to try and negotiate with him. After they offered some cash, the suspect refused and only wanted to take money from his employer.
Despite the hot weather, he was carrying around the little girl in his arms for more than an hour, not allowing anyone to send him or the child water.
After negotiators noticed the child’s shoes dropped off, they persuaded the suspect to help her put them back on, meaning he let her go and put down the knife, allowing police to grab him.
Difficult words: at knifepoint (while threatening somebody with a knife), surveillance footage (security camera video), score (group), cordon off (close), negotiate (to talk), persuade (to convince someone to do something).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.