Police Stop an Attack – level 3
In Australia, heavily armed officers raided homes in several Sydney suburbs during the night last weekend. They arrested four men over a plot to bring down an aeroplane.
The Australian Prime Minister reported that there was a major joint counter-terrorism operation to disrupt a terrorist plot to bring down an aeroplane. The government also put in place additional security measures at Australia’s major airports last Thursday.
In Australia, the terror threat level has been at ‘probable’ since September 2014.
Difficult words: raid (attack), plot (a plan made in secret), counter- (anti), disrupt (stop), terror threat level (how likely a terrorist may attack), probable (possible).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos