Police takes a lot of drugs – level 3
One billion dollars’ worth of cocaine and heroin seized from narcotics smugglers at sea has returned from the Pacific coast of Mexico, Central and South America. The contraband was seized during around 30 separate drug-running vessel finds, including two submarines and dozens of small outboard powered boats called paners.
The US Coast Guard said the wholesale value alone of the drugs exceeded one billion dollars. The narcotics unloaded at the US naval base at San Diego are among the largest haul from a single Coast Guard mission.
The 32 tons of pure uncut cocaine would have been enough to produce street sales of the drug roughly equivalent to 33 million lines.
Coast Guard anti-smuggling operations have netted 59 tons of narcotics off the shores of Mexico and Central America during the past year – more than were seized during the three previous years combined. The seized narcotics labeled with evidence tags are to be moved to a secret location where they will be eventually destroyed.
Difficult words: contraband (things which have been imported or exported illegally), haul (a quantity of something which has been possessed illegally), uncut (100% pure), net (to get in money in total).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.